Youth and Family Minister Job Description
Center Street Church of Christ
The Center Street Church of Christ Youth Minister position is to serve as part of the staff in ministering to our congregational needs. The position is responsible for building and maintaining a well-rounded spiritual, service, and social oriented program with a special focus on the teaching, training and developing of our young people in Christian beliefs and behavior. The Youth/ Family Minister is to set an excellent example to our youth and to stress the importance of Christianity in their personal life and in their association with others. Our youth should be taught and encouraged to worship God in spirit and truth, to care for others with compassion and love, and to grow spiritually reflecting Christ. The minister is to support the youth and their parents in the youth’s decision to become a Christian and in their Christian growth.
Job Responsibilities and Duties
The job responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Work under the oversight of the elders to develop, maintain, and grow the Youth Program.
- Communicate to the elders information and issues regularly.
- Communicate to youth deacons and parents when in need of support with activities.
- Build Christ-centered relationships with the young people at Center Street through creative ways to enhance their involvement.
- Visit the youth and their families in their homes and/or special events in their lives.
- Encourage and provide ways for the youth to develop their skills as servants and active members in the church through leadership in worship activities, and service oriented programs.
- Teach Bible based studies by setting up semi- annual curricula to be presented to and approved by the elders.
- Teach 6th grade through 12th grade a majority of the time, and coordinate other teachers when needed.
- Provide additional Bible studies and devotionals for the youth outside the regular Sunday and Wednesday night timeframes.
- Encourage the youth and their families to value worshipping and serving God, by attending regularly scheduled services and Bible studies.
- Solicit regular feedback from parents that can positively affect or enhance the program.
- Hold regular meetings with the youth and parents.
- Work to create an inclusive environment within the program for all of our youth and families.
- Encourage appropriate behavior at all activities.
- Work with families to coordinate retreats, devotionals, and mission activities.
- Be positive team member with staff and the membership.
- Assist and attend in the Lads to Leaders convention.
- Support Christian education and opportunities for leadership.
- Effectively communicate youth activities and programs through the use of calendars, social media, emails etc.
- Provide the elders an update in advance of major events and changes to already approved schedules.
- Assist the ministry staff as needed in events hosted by Center Street (e.g., baptisms, funerals, marriages, hospital visits, Rainbow school)
- Coordinate Vacation Bible School each summer with the help of a committee and assistance from the senior high youth group.
- Assist the Green Valley Bible camp director in planning and supervising/ directing our session.
- Keep regular working hours through the week that will allow for availability and reliability on a full time basis for the youth and their families. Notify elders of abnormal work hours, vacations, personal leave in an advanced and timely manner.
- Follow the personnel policies as set by the elders.
- Strong faith and commitment to being the youth and family minister.
- Having demonstrated faithfulness to the Lord’s church.
- Degree from a Christian university or school of preaching ( preferred)
- Experience in mission either abroad or in local mission fields. (preferred)
- Married with a wife who is supportive and actively involved in the youth group and congregation.
- Demonstrate strong ability to teach and preach.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work with the elders.
- Experience in ministry.
- Ability to relate to people of all ages.
- Proven servant leader, energetic, and self-motivated.